COLEA: A Matlab Software Tool for Speech Analysis
- Dual time-waveform and spectrogram displays
- Records speech directly into MATLAB NEW
- Displays time-aligned phonetic transcriptions (e.g., TIMIT's .phn files) - see example Figure above
- Manual segmentation of speech waveforms - creates label files which can be used to train speech recognition systems
- Waveform editing - cutting, copying or pasting speech segments
- Formant analysis - displays formant tracks of F1, F2 and F3
- Pitch analysis
- Filter tool - filters speech signal at cutoff frequencies specified by the user
- Comparison tool - compares two waveforms using several spectral distance measures
- Speech degradation - adds noise to the speech signal at an SNR specified by the user
The MATLAB program is distributed as freeware and is intended for non-commercial purposes only. It requires Matlab ver.
6.x (or 7.x) and Matlab's Signal Processing Toolbox.
If you have MATLAB ver. 4.2, you may download this file:
After downloading the zip file, create a new directory (say colea), and then pkunzip the file in that directory, i.e., type: pkunzip colea.zip
After downloading the tar file, just type: tar xvf colea.tar to un-tar it. This will create a new directory, called "colea".
For more information, you may download the manual in pdf format: manual.pdf or postscript format: manual.ps.
The manual is already included in the .zip or .tar files.
COLEA was originally developed in MATLAB 5.x, and is actually a subset of a COchLEA
Implants Toolbox. It does not exploit the new features of MATLAB 7.x. For more information about our research (supported by NIH) on cochlear implants, visit our
Send any inquiries to Philip Loizou (email: firstname.lastname@example.org )